Prepare pipes for colder temperatures:
- Insulate pipes that are exposed in the crawl space, garage and attic.
- If heat tape is used, over time it can wear out. Check and replace when necessary.
If your pipes freeze:
- Do not attempt to thaw pipes without turning off the water service shut-off valve.
- Thaw pipes with hair dryer or space heater.
- Do not leave space heaters unattended and avoid use of kerosene heaters or open flames.
When temperatures stay below freezing:
- Allow a small trickle of water to run. The cost of extra water is typically lower than the cost of repairing broken pipe.
- For pipes running through cabinets and vanities, open the door to allow warmer room temperatures in.
If you feel you have a frozen pipe and/or water meter and you need assistance, call the Sallal Water Association during normal business hours (8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., Monday through Thursday, 7:00 am to 3:00 pm Friday).
The Association has received petitions signed by 224 members requesting a special meeting so that a vote can be held on a proposed amendment to the Association’s bylaws. The proposal, if adopted, would require member votes on various water supply issues that are presently within the powers of the Association’s Board to decide. The Association is required by United States Department of Agriculture loan covenants to submit bylaw amendments to the government for approval. The USDA is currently shut down and is unable to review the proposal. The Association desires to postpone calling a special meeting on the proposal until the USDA reviews and comments. The Association’s Board will respond to the proposal when it has more information.
Please be on the lookout for any unexpected emails from Sallal. Our email address was compromised and was sending unwanted emails. Please do not open any attachments that look suspicious. Thank you for your patience while we work diligently to resolve this.